TO COMPLETE THIS FORM YOU WILL NEED:
- RV Hitch Size in Inches
- Height of Hitch (Level ground to bottom of Hitch in In.)
- RV Tongue Weight in lbs.
- Car VIN (17 Characters)
- Car Drive Type (Fwd, Rwd, 4x4, etc.)
- Car Front and Rear Axle Weight (Found on label inside door jamb)
- Wheelbase (Center of front wheel to center of rear wheel in In.)
- Measurement from center of front wheel to front of bumper in In.
- Vehicle towed MUST be Front Wheel Drive or 4X4 with NEUTRAL
- RV Hitch-Ground length MUST be greater than 18 in.
- Calculated Tongue Weight cannot exceed towing capacity
How to calculate Tongue Weight:
Locate RV data plate usually located in door jam.
On the plate some manufacturers will indicate GTWR
This is the number you need.
If this number is not listed use the following formula:
GVWR minus the weight of RV including luggage,
fluids, and passengers. The number you get from
this calculation is approximately 10% of
While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information calculated from this form be accurate, TowTower is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. The information contained on this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts. Given the changing nature of laws, rules, and regulations, and the inherent hazards of vehicular travel, all information in this site is provided "as is" with no guarantee or warranty. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided with the understanding that TowTower is not herein engaged in rendering legal or other professional services. As such, this form should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. Before making any decision, you should consult a towing professional with the specifics of your unique vehicle configuration.